October 14th, 2015 Okay, Then

October 14th, 2015 Okay, Then

I was feeling some fairly nasty pain this morning courtesy of what I will appropriately refer to as "the condition." It slowed me down considerably, enough to ask a colleague to cover the first 1/2 hour of my radio show until I could pull myself together. Then, as if that wasn't enough to manage, I finally get to the radio station and end up getting bit by a dog on the sidewalk just outside our window front studios. A nice older lady was walking her two dogs, both on leashes--and it was still dark, and apparently these dogs considered me a threat to their master. The smallest dog did exactly what came natural, it defended his/her master and attached itself to my leg. Two broken skin bite marks and a ripped pair of new jeans was the result.

I'm way too nice and forgiving for my own good. She assured me the dog was properly vaccinated, apologized, then I countered with "my new jeans are ripped--and oh wow, there's blood." She apologized again, reassured me for the third time that her dogs have had their rabies shots--and she quickly exited the scene.

This was the point where I should have said, "hey, wait, uh, maybe we should exchange information and you could give me the name of the vet just to make sure he's properly vaccinated--and you think you should replace these new jeans and perhaps pay for my insurance co-pay on a visit to the urgent care facility?" That's exactly what I should have said. Instead I simply muttered, "Okay, then." 

I talked about the incident on the air, encouraging this dog owner to contact me, or "if you know who this person might be, please have her contact me." I took the blame for not getting the information when it happened. And my intent certainly isn't to call her out. I wouldn't mention her identity on the air under any circumstances. I really only care about seeing proof of vaccinations. If she pays for the jeans and the urgent care visit co-pay I paid this evening, then great, but at the very least--shot records, please.

It didn't result in her contacting me. I did get quite a bunch of advice and encouragement to seek medical attention. This may become a new morning show bit, "The search continues, Day whatever..." 

I was just going to treat it at home with over the counter stuff until mom insisted I go see a doctor. I did go tonight. I received a tetanus shot, some fancy ointment samples and a prescription for an antibiotic. Mom's happy and aside from hating needles, I'm happy that it looks like I'll live.

Then it was time for my bi-weekly maintenance weigh-in at the doctor's office. A support friend suggested I see the doctor about the bite during the weigh-in, but I didn't have an appointment. The weigh-in is a drop by arrangement, not an appointment and he was busy with patients. I knew from the start if I was going to end up seeking medical attention it would be at an urgent care facility.

Where were we? Oh yeah--the weigh-in....I don't know what to think of this one.
 photo 213.020weigh20day_zpssn9zqu3x.jpg
213 pounds represents a 7.4 pound loss over the last two weeks. It's also the lowest I've weighed since I was eleven years old. I fully expected a pound or two gain considering all of the missed workouts because of "the condition" and my insane schedule of late. I was shocked. I stepped off and back on. We re-calibrated and tried again. Made sure it was properly "zeroed" and tried again. Still, 213. Okay, make sense of that one. I'll try...

Maybe, just maybe-- last weigh day's nearly 3 pound gain was actually a temporary water weight gain--and maybe it should have showed a slight loss instead...and maybe this time I didn't have any excess water weight issues and perhaps this, coupled with a pound or two or three of actual loss, equaled the 7.4 pounds. I don't know. And you know what? It doesn't matter.

I'm eating very well. I honestly don't think I can add much more without it messing my with my mind a little. My plan is to watch this for another couple weigh-ins, keeping the calories where they are (2300) and resuming workouts in a regular way. I'm feeling fine. I'm not getting overly concerned. I've talked with a couple of support friends about this today and they've both agreed that I should keep on keeping on and see if this continues. I plan on doing just that.

It's been a crazy-wacky day. I've learned a few things:

1. When somebody's dog bites you, it's perfectly acceptable to ask for what you need.  
2. The scale is insane.
3. Tetanus shots burn.

I'm going to bed and hoping for a restful night and a morning without pain from "the condition."

My Tweets Today:


















Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean