July 22nd, 2015 The Only Option

July 22nd, 2015 The Only Option

My food was fantastic today. To me, the perfect summertime lunch is a cool guacamole salad and some ice cold watermelon. It was delicious! Lunch time rolled around and I found myself without anything to prepare. I usually keep the employee kitchen stocked with what I need. I can't tell you how many times in the days of old, this same situation has played out--ending with me grabbing some kind of fast food. During the relapse/regain period, a big taco salad with extra meat, extra cheese and extra sour cream--in a deep fried bowl, was a regular indulgence. And yes, back then--I'd eat every last crumb.

There's a grocery store less than a mile from the studio. It was there back then and it's still there today. I made a fast trip in, grabbed a few things--and out, back to the kitchen at work, prepared a nice lunch and felt great about it. Honestly, it's something I never would have thought to do back then, in my lowest points of struggle--in fact, I wouldn't have considered it something even remotely possible. What? Go into a grocery store to pick up items I then have to prepare as opposed to just walking into the fast food taco place down the street...yeah... taco place won every time. But when I started taking better care of me--when I started making me important again--when I started honoring the integrity of my turnaround plan, suddenly the grocery store option wasn't a negative at all. Suddenly, it became the only option in my mind.

I picked up Noah today for an extended visit. That little guy is active! Thank goodness a good friend of mine was along, helping me take good care of him. We visited the park, the grocery store--came home, prepared flatbread pizza for dinner--watched a little Curious George, a little Color Crew--then, while my friend took good care of him, I ran off to the Y for my workout. I got home and Noah was still up and wired. I tried reading to him, speaking softly to him, putting him directly into bed and telling him "it's sleepy time," and nothing worked. Finally, I laid down with him, softly patted his back and spoke soft gentle encouragement (at one point he started rambling something back to me in a softened tone--it was adorable). It took awhile, but finally I fell asleep. I woke up at midnight and he was asleep, too. Good deal.

I must have slept beside him for a little over an hour. Glad I woke up. Hopefully he'll stay asleep throughout the night. I'm headed back to bed now!

My Tweets Today:


























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean